Introduction to python
- Python is an open source, high-level programming language developed by Guido van Rossum in the late 1980s and presently administered by Python Software Foundation.
- It came from the ABC language that he helped create early on in his career.
- Python is a powerful language that you can use to create games, write GUIs, and develop web applications.
- It is a high-level language. Reading and writing codes in Python is much like reading and writing regular English statements.
- Because they are not written in machine-readable language, Python programs need to be processed before machines can run them.
- Python is an interpreted language. This means that every time a program is run, its interpreter runs through the code and translates it into machine-readable byte code.
- Python is an object-oriented language that allows users to manage and control data structures or objects to create and run programs.
- Everything in Python is, in fact, first class. All objects, data types, functions, methods, and classes take equal position in Python.
- Programming languages are created to satisfy the needs of programmers and users for an effective tool to develop applications that impact lives, lifestyles, economy, and society.
Advantages of Using Python
Here are reasons why you would prefer to learn and use Python over other high level languages:
- Higher productivity
- Less learning time
- Runs across different platforms
- Python programs use clear, simple, and concise instructions that are easy to read even by those who have no substantial programming background.
- Programs written in Python are, therefore, easier to maintain, debug, or enhance.
- Codes used in Python are considerably shorter, simpler, and less verbose than other high-level programming languages such as Java and C++.
- In addition, it has well-designed built-in features and standard library as well as access to third party modules and source libraries.
- These features make programming in Python more efficient.
Less learning time
- Python is relatively easy to learn. Many find Python a good first language for learning programming because it uses simple syntax and shorter codes.
Runs across different platforms
- Python works on Windows, Linux/UNIX, Mac OS X, other operating systems and small-form devices.
- It also runs on microcontrollers used in appliances, toys, remote controls, embedded devices, and other similar devices.